What to do in case of fire
Evacuate and report!
If you become aware of a fire or hear a fire alarm, the first priority is getting out safely. Once clear of the building and in a safe location, call 9-1-1 or (510) 642-3333 from a cell phone to report the emergency.
- Take ALL fire alarms seriously and leave the building immediately. Do not stop.
- Feel door handles. If they are warm, do not open them. Find another way out of your room. If you can’t get out, signal for help.
- Close doors behind you.
- Stay low when there is smoke, where the air is cleaner and cooler.
- Always use closest exit or stairway; never use elevators.
- If the alarm is on your way out, pull it!
- Once outside, do not go back in!
- If your clothes are on fire, stop, drop, and roll.
- Quickly cool any burns with water and seek medical attention.